Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Watching People

When I was starting out as an actor, one of my teachers suggested that we watch others. How they walk and talk. What are their mannerisms? Do they use gestures, when they talk or keep their hands close to their bodies? Do they give eye contact or look away? You can learn a lot from looking at others. Then, you can use that to develop a character from what you observe. You would be amazed the people I have used for characters. Many have been people that I actually know. So watch out. But, you can watch people as a fun way to make the day go by. I have a friend named Gwen. She and I worked together at Belk in Columbia Mall. After we had lunch, we would sit in the mall and watch people walk by. Most were total strangers. So, we would make up stories about the people. Some were models. Some were spies. Some were criminals. It was a funny way to pass the time. Gwen moved to Virginia. I am sure she still plays the game, as I do too. I find others play the game, as well. It is not meant to make fun of others, but it is important not to let the ones being seen to hear you. Maybe it is part of the game to be dangerous. Don't get caught. The big part of the game is to not be prejudicial. Don't racial profile people. You just create strange occupations or characteristics. So, who knows? I may be watching you.

No comments: