Thursday, October 23, 2008

Older People

Hopefully, everybody gets older. They tell you that you slow up, as you get older. There are some days that is true, and others when I feel young. In my mind, I am in my twenties or thirties. Then, I have to remind myself that is not so true. I think getting older is a conspiracy with asprin companies. If it weren't for us, they would be out of business. You can blame it on the cold or rain, but the aches and pains can come down to age. In my family, we have several people who lived well into their 90's. My Grandmother Durst lived to be 105. When she was asked what her secret was, she said "breathing in and breathing out". My Grandmother was a remarkable woman. She raised four sons pretty much by herself. Her husband died at an early age. She taught school to put her sons through college. They turned out pretty well. And they all lived a long life. My Grandmother was very opinionated. I still can't smell baby powder without thinking of her. When she would come to visit, she would stay in my room and drown herself with baby powder every morning. She made tomato jello for me, when I visited her house in Greenwood. I have trouble eating a tomato now. Never eat tomato jello. It will make you sick. I got mad with my father a lot, as he got older. Between the lack of hearing and the dementia, it was very frustrating communicating with him. I know it was frustrating for him, too, especially when he also had trouble moving around. I am not proud of losing my temper with him, but there is one thing that I am thankful for. During the last couple of years of my father's life, I got to know him and talk to him about his life. I learned many things about how he contributed to the lives of others, and how much he was a pioneer in Southern Baptist circles. It is easy to dismiss older people, because you are young, but they have been there before you. I have some stories to tell, too. That is kind of what this blog is about. I hope I can breathe in and breathe out a little longer. And, you wanna hear a little secret? The older you get, the more humble you get. That is what I have learned.

No comments: