Thursday, October 9, 2008

Airplane Rides

One of my favorite movies is "Airplane". It is just so funny, and I can pretty much quote the entire movie. Another one of my favorite movies is "Airport". It is just so suspenseful. Another one of my favorite movies is "Air Force One". It has so much action. Do you see a trend here? I like movies about planes. Although, I didn't much care for "Top Gun". I think it is because I watched it so much in the TV Department at Rich's. I have flown many times. It does not really scare me, but I am a white-knuckled flyer upon take-off. They say take-offs and landings are the worst. The first time I was ever on a plane was Piedmont flying from Asheville to Louisville. I went with my father, and we landed at every little airport along the way. I remember them serving green roast beef, and they made steep turns. I flew a bunch in going on my trip to Europe. I have already written about the flight from London to Rome, where the plane dropped quickly, and I hyperventilated. I flew some from Dallas to Columbia, when I was going to seminary. I would usually take the red-eye, because it was so much cheaper. One landing in Columbia, the pilot landed the plane halfway down the runway and jammed on the brakes. We all cheered. Not for the pilot but because we didn't crash. I flew from Columbia to Puerto Rico. It was a long flight but a fun one. Especially, when we flew over the Bermuda Triangle. I flew on American Express from Columbia to Nashville. That was pretty scary, because a plane like that one had crashed the week before in Alabama. We flew pretty low so I could see guys mowing the lawn. We skimmed over the mountains. The flight attendant let me sit at the front of the plane. On the return flight, a guy played the guitar, and we had a party. And then last summer, I flew from Greenville to Richmond by way of Cleveland. The take-offs were nervy. The plane was kind of small, but we made it okay. I don't think anyone should take flying for granted, but it is kind of fun. Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars.

No comments: