Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Your Life

This blog is called "My World". I talk about me and the things around me. Some people say I have lived an interesting life. I suppose so. After all, I have been in movies and TV. I have acted on the stage. I have written some songs and other stuff. I have met some famous people, and people who think they are famous. I have been to some interesting places. I have loved some beautiful people. But, I was thinking about other people's lives. When we were all born, it was pretty much the same way. Whether you were born in a hospital, a car, at home, or wherever, the process is pretty much the same. Our mothers brought us into the world. Hopefully in the early years, it was a world of love. Then came kindergarten or day care. We were exposed to other kids from other families, and suddenly we started to absorb others' quirks. That is how a community starts. And for some reason, we are different and try to be the same at the same time. It manifests itself in how we dress; what music we listen to; and how we talk. So, somewhere between being born and being in the community, we became individuals. In my case, I grew up in a home, where my father was a preacher, and my mother was a homemaker. He was gone a lot, and she stressed the Arts. He wanted me to clean my plate, and she said to eat as much as I wanted. There was a lot of conflict in my life. The music was show tunes, rock n roll, and easy listening. The movies were musicals, James Bond, and cartoons. My home was big on politics and world awareness. I guess there are other homes out there that had a different emphasis in their lives. But, that was my world. There are those out there who say that their lives are similar to yours. Those people become your friends and lovers. But, how is it that some people whose lives aren't so similar can be friends or lovers? How is it that cousins can be so different in their lives despite being related? I don't have the answer to that, other than to say they were brought up different. Their roads were separate, and maybe now they are moving closer. That's where maturity comes into play. I was much more liberal, when I was younger than I am now. No, I am not right wing, but a little more centrist. I cannot be all things to all people. You can get into trouble, if you do that. But, I find that more people gravitate to me than in the old days. So, think about your life. How did you get here? Why do you like me? I like you.

No comments: