Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Nose Bleeds

One thing you will find from reading this blog, especially if you have been following along over these few months, my life is somewhat complicated. A lot of stuff have happened to me, and hopefully more is to come. One thing that I have to deal with is nose bleeds. When I was a kid, my next door neighbor was Phil Savitz. He was swinging a golf club and caught me along the side of the nose. I think it broke my nose. My nose bled. I also inherited thin membranes from my Mother's side of the family. So, if the air is dry enough, my nose will bleed. This situation manifested itself, when I was a student at Anderson. I woke up one morning in the dorm to find my sheets full of blood. It looked like the dead horse scene in "The Godfather". I suppose that I could have choked on my blood, but thankfully didn't. I was a little weak, but otherwise okay. Then, a couple of years ago on the day after Thanksgiving, I had a bad episode. I was at work. It was the busiest day of the year. My supervisor told me to take a break from being at the register non-stop. I went into the stockroom to sit down and get something to drink, and it happened again. I was bleeding and couldn't get it to stop. I used the phone in the stockroom to call my supervisor and told her that I was in trouble. She called the asst. store manager Sylvia, who came to try and help me. She called Joni, who was our security manager and she worked on me for about an hour. They finally got it stopped, but I had lost a lot of blood. My clothes were bloody. Walking out of the store without many people seeing me was tough. I had gauze up my nose and blood on my clothes. Yes, I am a poet. I went home and rested. I wasn't able to go to work the next day, because I was pretty weak. The next day was Sunday. I went to the doctor about an ear problem, and my nose started bleeding badly in the waiting room. My doctor told me how to control the nose bleeds. If I am going to be in a dry air situation, such as the store, put Vaseline up my nose with a tissue, and it will lubricate the inside of my nose. That worked. I still have nose bleeds, but not so often. So, get some Vaseline. It is good for all that ails you.

No comments: