Sunday, September 28, 2008

Actor Bows

When an actor dies, especially one from films, you can miss the person but visit them in their work. Paul Newman died on Friday. There is a lot one can say about his work and his life, and many people have already done so. I liked Paul's movies. Many of them are my favorites, which is a monumental statement, since I have seen so many movies. I counted them once, and estimated that it was over 3000. Some were really good, while others were really bad. But, I love movies. Newman understood the number one rule of a great actor--never take yourself too seriously. He had an understated talent. He also cared about the world around him without wanting to take the credit. I wish I could have worked with him. He just seemed to be cool but not overbearing. I am not going to name names, but I have worked with actors who were so full of themselves that it affected their work. They were personalities. Some even assumed their roles in real life. They were fake people. Newman was a real person. I have written here before how much I gravitate to real people. People who do not put on a front. People who are comfortable in their own skin, or at least pretend that they are. One thing that I really liked about Paul Newman was that he used his celebrity name to help others but not wanting credit. He also was not consumed by his fame. He wanted to make the world a better place. So, Butch? You did some good thinking. That is what you were good at. We will miss you.

No comments: