Sunday, June 1, 2008

Does It Count?

The President came to Greenville yesterday for a brief visit to address the Furman graduates. The Secret Service didn't want to tell what route he would take from the airport to Furman, but it was pretty easy to figure out. I drove out to Furman and saw the police cars on certain roads, so I put it together. There were gobs of cops around. I decided to camp out at a busy intersection, figuring it would be the best location to see him pass by. I was the first one there just before 5pm. It was hot. Slowly, more folks started to gather. Just after 7pm, the heliocopter passed over the area, signaling the motorcade was coming. The police sealed off the intersection. I was standing next to a little girl with a nice sign she made. She got on the news, and I was shown next to her. Then came the sirens. The police on motorcycles. The Secret Service cars, and then two limos with flags on the front. They sped through the intersection doing at least 70mph. We all waved. In the blink of an eye, the President was gone. We all just stood there in shock. Was that it? Then we left. I know he was running a little late, but they could have slowed down just a little for us to see him. So, does it count in seeing the President, if I see his car going by? Does it count that he may have seen me standing next to the little girl with the sign? Does a blur count? I guess so, but it will come with an asterisk. Can we the people share a moment with the President of the United States? Sad world. If anybody knows how I can see the President without being connected, please let me know.

No comments: