Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Woodstock Kid

In 1969, there was a music festival called Woodstock. You may have heard of it. They made a movie about it, and their was a killer soundtrack. This event was one of those that made a big impact on me. I was in high school. My parents did not allow me to have long hair, so I was a short-haired hippie, and my nickname became "The Woodstock Kid". All hippies at that time had nicknames. There was Rainbow, Sunshine, and others. I was the Woodstock Kid. I even had my church friends over for a youth fellowship one Sunday night, and we played 3 sides of the soundtrack for our music. Some wanted to play the Fish Cheer, but we couldn't, even though they tried. When I went to college, I was able to wear my hair longer. It never went below my shoulders, but it was long enough to be a card-carrying hippie. And of course, I never washed it. Maybe that's why I am getting bald now. But, it was the idea of sex, drugs and rock n roll that appealed to me. I got involved in the anti-war movement, which we have discussed previously. I also got involved in some other stuff, that I think has been discussed, as well. But, alot was about the music. As the years have gone on, I have tried to see as many music acts as I could who were at the first Woodstock Music and Arts Fair. It has not been easy, especially since some of the folks are dead like Jimi, Janis, Jerry, and a few others. But, here is the list as it stands today: Mountain, Canned Heat, The Who, Crosby Stills and Nash, Richie Havens, Bob Weir from The Grateful Dead, Johnny Winter, and Tim Hardin. Peace and love.

No comments: