Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Star Wars

As some of you may know, I have never seen "Star Wars" or any of the subsequent movies in the series. I love movies, and sci-fi movies, but I will never watch this one. I am sure it is very entertaining, but there is a perfectly good reason. When I lived in Texas, I worked for a store that sold toys. I was there, when the first "Star Wars" came out. There were toys and action figures for every character. As soon as we got them in, we would sell out. So, there would be mothers with small children coming in the store and wanting the toys. When I told them that we had sold out, the mothers would scream at me, and the kids would kick me. They would cry very loud. There was nothing I could do. They wanted me to make the toys, I guess. So, it really turned me off to the entire movie franchise, and I promised myself that I would never see the movies. I came close once, when one came on TV. I didn't know what it was and watched it for a couple of minutes. When I realized what it was, I cut it off. That was close. And, for those of you that think "Star Wars" is the greatest, consider this...there was a Swedish film that came out in the late 1960's called "Fanny Hill". It was an art film, as they used to call it in those days. The theme song was written by a Swedish guy. The theme to "Star Wars" was written by John Williams, but it is the exact tune to the "Fanny Hill" theme but in a different key and sped up. How do I know this? I used to have the soundtrack to "Fanny Hill", and of course heard "Star Wars" on the radio. So, did John Williams use the Swedish guy's music? Hard to say, but it is very curious. "Luke, I am your father".

No comments: