Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Security

A friend told me last night that a friend of hers was attacked over the weekend and is in the hospital. Apparently some guys wanted money. This brings up the topic of personal security. When is it okay to react and defend oneself, and when is it best to run? You never know how you will react, until you are put in that position. I have done both. In Switzerland, I defended myself and then ran. In France, I just ran. The key to all of this is to be aware of your surroundings. I learned early on to not go into an area that was questionable. If I did find myself in an area, establish a 3-foot perimeter. Some say 18 inches, but I think 3 feet is better. Be aware of everything. Try and act like you have eyes in the back of your head. I know this is easy for those after the fact, but if you try and not be the hero, and more of self-preservation, things will turn out better. Now, if anyone thinks I am advocating a bunch of wimpy people, think again. Every situation is different. But, being aware is half of the battle. If you are alone at night, talk out loud to yourself. Muggers don't like attacking crazy people. Also, don't dress to the nines. Don't look like you have money. I don't have that problem, because I don't have any money to begin with. It is best if you are in groups though. That way, you might outnumber the attackers. But, if the guy has a weapon of some sort, give him the money. You can replace that, but you can't replace your life. I know you have heard this all before, but it bears repeating. Be safe.

No comments: