Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Mayo

Happy Cinco de Mayo everybody. You know, when I lived in Texas in the mid to late 1970's, I had Hispanic friends. I went to Mexican restaurants, especially Joe T. Garcia's. I even lived behind a Mexican restaurant for a month and loved the smell every morning or cooking bread. But, we didn't celebrate Mexican holidays. We celebrated American holidays. They may have done different stuff on the 4th of July, and we may have done it with them, but it was an American thing. I am not opposed to people coming to this country from other lands. I am opposed to those people taking away our culture and replacing it with theirs. I was at a flea market yesterday in Greenville. If I had yelled out "Immigration", there would have been about six people left after the stampede. I like the Hispanics. They are good people. They are hard-working people. They are loving people. They are fun people. But, they should just remember that they live in America with the rest of us. So, since I have French and German heritage, I am just giving you fair warning that I will be celebrating Bastille Day and Octoberfest. Where's the nachos?

No comments: