Monday, April 14, 2008

Picked Last

In my examination of my personality, one thing needs to be discussed. Almost every time in school or elsewhere, I have been picked last for things. In school, I was picked last for every sport played--baseball, football, kickball, basketball, soccer, track, tennis, etc. No one wanted me on their teams. "Okay, we'll take Walter". It was always in a resigned tone by the captain. You could see the disgust on the other team members' faces. Usually, I would do well in the activity, but I think they picked me last, because I was skinny and seemingly uncoordinated. Even in church volleyball that I played as an adult, I was picked last. I was the best server and setter, but I was picked last. Even if there were half as many girls than boys, I was picked last. There was one time at volleyball, where it was decided to pick the last person first. That was the only time I was ever picked first. But, it was the sympathy vote. So, as I have grown older, it has made an impact on my life. Be careful what you say to people, and how you say it. Okay, I guess we'll take Walter. Thanks. Don't put yourself out.

No comments: