Friday, March 21, 2008

Rich's/Macy's

After Belk closed up, I needed a job. I was hired by Rich's Department Store to sell Luggage. I did that for a few months, and then they moved me to TV's. That was great fun, because I could watch TV and listen to music. I brought in my videos to watch. Some were okay, but I didn't watch a CSN video until in the store. Just as David Crosby cursed, a little boy walked by and said real loud to his mother what he had heard from the TV. That was the last time I brought in a tape I hadn't watched. After Rich's did away with TV's, I was moved to Lamps. I was the number one Lamp Dept. for the entire company for the year 2000. My numbers were through the roof. Rich's did away with Lamps, so they moved me to China. I liked it, but there was a lot of moving fixtures. They just couldn't decide where to put things. One day, we changed a table 4 times. China is where I met Konnie. What a precious person. She was married, but very fun to be around. We made a pact that I wouldn't quit unless she quit and vice versa. She quit 2 years ago, and I quit last year. When Rich's became Macy's, a lot of things changed. They reduced the sales force so much, that it was not unusual for you to watch five departments at once. That made it very hard for customer service. Eventually, I was mainly in Housewares and Luggage. So, 11 years earlier I worked in Luggage, and now 11 years later, I was working in Luggage again. I had made the Luggage Dept. again to be very successful. In fact, it was the only Home Store Dept. to make plan. But, I didn't get a raise for 4 years. All because I didn't open enough credits. So, it was time to move on. A friend from college offered me a place to live in Greenville, if I would move. It was becoming increasingly difficult to live in Columbia. I turned in my resignation at Macy's. I gave them two weeks. 30 minutes before leaving on my last day, my supervisor came to me and asked what it would take for me to stay. When I gave her a figure, she said no. The store manager never said goodbye. I felt like I had wasted almost 12 years. They didn't appreciate me. I was supposed to transfer to the Macy's store in Greenville, but when I got here, I found I didn't have a job. Columbia had never processed the transfer papers. Then, I found out that they had not hired someone for my old job. I asked if I could have it back, and they said no. Then, they fired a woman who had worked in the Home Store in Columbia. I asked if I could have her job, and they said they would let me know. That was a month ago. Despite all the money I made for them, they can't make a decision? Please. So, I am not working right now. Maybe something will come up soon. I have to have faith.

No comments: