Friday, March 21, 2008

Drama in Churches

In exploring things to do, I realized that I needed to do something to help others. Maybe it was my mid-life crisis, but I wanted to make a difference. So, what was I trained to do? Act and write. What did I have my degree in? Religious Drama. So, why couldn't I do that. I had written several Bible character monologues and performed them in churches and retreats. There are a lot of churches in the Greenville area. Surely, they would jump at the chance of having a creative person like me come in a present something. So, I had a meeting with an old friend of mine, who is on the staff of a large church here. He gave me some leads. I had a meeting with the head of a drama dept of a college here. He gave me some leads. I had a meeting with a guy who did stuff like me. He gave me some leads. Then, I met with the editor of a newsletter that goes out to all of the Baptist churches in the state. He said they would run a feature story on me. Great. At last, the publicity I would need to get bookings. When the newsletter came out, my story was not in it. I asked why, and they said that they didn't want to show favoritism toward me, when there were others that did the same thing. Okay, so why do articles on preachers, musicians, or teachers? But, then I realized something. One must be politically correct when dealing with Baptists. Maybe it was because I am 54 years old and never married. Maybe they thought I was gay. Who knows? But for the record, I am straight. So, if anybody is reading this and wants me to come to your church, PLEASE let me know. I don't charge much.

No comments: