Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Kare

Kare looked like Farrah Fawcett. In fact, she would be stopped in malls by people wanting her autograph. People would take her picture. Some days she would sign Farrah's autograph, but most days she would just get creeped out by the attention. So, she didn't like people taking her picture. She had a phobia about it, so the only picture I have of her is a candid from her college yearbook. When she was in high school, she had a car accident, where she "died" on the operating table. They brought her back, but she lost some oxygen to the brain. Consequently, you couldn't use words with more than two syllables with Kare. She was an artist and gourmet cook. Kare also made her own clothes. She was an activist for women's rights, and she got me involved with NOW. She was extremely creative. Kare had a boyfriend who beat her. She would sometimes call out from work because of the bruises. I think that's why she would go out with me, because I treated her well. There was many a night where we would go out after work and get very drunk. We would be the last ones to leave, when the bar closed at 2am. It was an escape for both of us. I had an alcohol problem. I would usually do vodka and beer each night. There was a restaurant in our mall that sold alcohol. I went there and had vodka for supper with no food. When I got back to the store, I couldn't see. I made a joke to the customer about the product, but I realized that I had a problem. I quit cold turkey. To this day, I can't have any alcohol, or it will make me sick. Not even cough medicine. So, after a year of being in Ft. Worth with Kare, it was becoming impossible to live on what I was making, so I decided to move back to South Carolina. Saying goodbye to Kare was tough. We wrote a few times, but then stopped. I think she is married to a man and still lives in Fort Worth. I moved back, because I thought I had a job teaching in a college. Wrong again.

No comments: