Thursday, March 20, 2008

Charleston Tea Party

I went to an audition at SCETV for a part in a History TV show called "The Palmetto Special". It was designed for 8th graders. I was in two episodes--"The Charleston Tea Party" and "Reconstruction". I also did a couple of other shows for ETV over the course of 2 years. One was a PBS show about race relations in the 1950's. It was directed by Lazslo Benedek who also directed Marlon Brando in "The Wild Ones". But, back to Tea Party. It was my first paid gig with lines. I played a guy named Lindsey who bought tea from England. I was a villain. There were two other villains in the piece. We dressed in period costumes and shot most of it on location in Charleston. One of the villains couldn't stop laughing, so we had to do several takes of one scene. I couldn't wear glasses, so I was blind much of the time. In the last scene of the show, we dump our tea off the side of a ship. The boxes were made of balsa wood, so they were light to carry. One guy carried them as if they were heavy, and I carried them as if they were light, so it made for a fun scene. We were told that we would be out of focus, when we dumped the tea into the harbor, so not to worry about the boxes being sealed. So, after I "dumped" my box, I turned toward the camera with it, and it was sealed, and I was in focus. It made no sense, but hopefully the kids didn't pay attention to the details. I see a lot of things that most people don't. That's just me.

No comments: