Wednesday, October 28, 2009

State House

Today's blog comes from the State House. It is a place where laws are written and tempers flare. They do have their share of decorum amidst the words. One thing I have noticed is that men on the floor of the Senate or House were coats and ties. Of course, they wear pants too. I can't help but reflect on the famous and infamous who have been in those chambers. The building has been in use since just after the Civil War, although they have remodeled the building a couple of times. You know the old adage--"If these walls could talk..."? What would they say? I shudder to think about it.

Our government in South Carolina has taken more than its share of ribbing and ridicule in recent years. Our leaders have been questioned about their leadership. I have had a lot of questions too. Overall, I believe that most of our leaders have good intentions to do the will of the people who they were elected to represent. If there are one or two bad apples in the batch, that shouldn't condemn them all. And, if anyone has had personal issues from years ago, that shouldn't be a measure of their character today, unless it is an ongoing problem, or it affects their job, such as the case of our current governor.

So, I sat in the Senate chamber, waiting for the proceedings to begin., hoping that it would be more interesting than the day before, although some fur flew then. The Senate was to act on some House measures and adjourn until January. I'm a politicial junkie. I live for stuff like that. Film at 11.

Sidebar--I wandered into the House chambers during a Senate recess. The House is much bigger than the Senate. And with more people comes this dull roar of voices. I think the word "chaos" says it all. They voted on a bill to send to the Senate, and then everybody was standing around and talking in groups. Based on the laughter and body language, most of the talking was not about state business. I guess I shouldn't be so cynical. Aftter all, these people represent local districts. They have fewer constituents than the Senators do. They seem more personable, but they also seem more fun loving. It was party time in the House. So, if these walls could talk, they would say "It's Miller time".

No comments: