Monday, September 14, 2009

Oliver Gospel

When I was in college, and had much longer hair, I spent time in Atlanta with some folks in a house. We were all hippies and theatre people and just had fun. I also spent time in Dallas around that same time with some people who were "Jesus Freaks". It was nothing to be in one room, sharing food, and helping one another. As time went on, and my hair got shorter, I began getting into the business world. One day, I was walking on the street near the State House, and a man was trying to get money from pay phones. Two guys walked past him and yelled out "Get a job!" He tried to ignore them, but you could tell that he didn't. When I was in seminary in the late 1970's, I saw my first real homeless person (not a hippie) sleeping on a bench in Dallas. It was a bit of a shock, as the times had changed. The hippies had been replaced by the homeless. Now, I am a member of that fraternity. Last Friday, I entered a homeless shelter called Oliver Gospel Mission. This was because I ran out of money, and no one allowed me to stay with them, despite my asking many people if they would. Some had good reasons. Others just didn't respond. I called The United Way, and the guy there suggested I go live under a bridge. No lie. I have met some that do live under bridges, but I have the top bunk of a bunk bed. There are about 25 other guys in this big room. And, half of them snore. There are 2 showers, and all the showering is done at night. A few guys in the room are crazy, but most of them believe in God and just want to be respected. I do a lot of walking now that my car is gone, so I run into the guys on the street all the time. They always say hello and ask how you are doing. It is a comraderie. I have tried to dress nicely, since I am looking for work. A woman stopped me on the street over the weekend asking for money. I told her that I was in the same boat as her, being homeless. She couldn't believe me, and I had to tell her that there is nothing written on my forehead saying I was homeless, but I am. She smiled, and we parted. Life is very hard right now. No one said it would be easy. But, if you can help me out with a roof over my head, in a real house, please let me know. Meanwhile, be nice to those of us out on the streets. All we ask is a smile or a pleasant greeting. And, for the most part, we are not going to rob you. We just ask for some human respect.

No comments: