Friday, June 26, 2009

Farrah Fawcett

Yesterday was a bomshell day. First, we were still reeling over the news of our governor. Then, the not unexpected news that Farrah had passed on. Then, the shocking news that Michael Jackson dropped dead. I will probably address the MJ news tomorrow, but for now, I wanted to write about Farrah.

I first became aware of Farrah, when I was living in Fort Worth. I saw the pilot movie of "Charlie's Angels", and I fell in love. Without getting too syrupy, it was an amazing relationship. I bought all of the posters, and still have them. I became a charter member of her fan club and still have the membership card and certificate. I cleared my night to watch the show. And, as fate would have it, my girlfriend looked like Farrah. We would go to malls, and people would stop her thinking she was Farrah. They would want pictures and autographs. Sometimes, she would say no. Other times, she would say yes. Some folks out there have fake Farrah autographs. I hope they don't try and sell them now. She became so paranoid that she didn't want anybody to take pictures of her, and the only one I have of her was a candid photo from her college yearbook. I can only imagine what it was like for Farrah some days. Despite other guys having that swimsuit poster in their dorm rooms at seminary, my posters almost had me kicked out of seminary. I was a Farrah fanatic. When I heard that Farrah was leaving the show, I wrote her a long letter about destroying the chemistry of the show, but I knew she had to move on. When I heard that she was in a film called "Myra Breckinridge" early in her career, I went to screenings of it every night. First in Dallas and then in Fort Worth. It became my favorite movie. I saw all of her films, except one. A foreign film that I guess will be released now. I went to all of the showings of "Saturn 3". It was an obsession. I had just about all of her films on video and all of the "Charlie's Angels" shows. First, it was because of her beauty. She just knocked me out. Later, it was because of her acting. She tried very hard to shed the image of that beautiful girl to be one of a more serious person, but never forgetting her playful side. When we were in Texas, her grandmother passed away in a small town not far from Dallas. I wanted to go down there and get a glimpse of Farrah, but then I heard that she was not going, because of all the hype and throngs of crowds. How sad that was. Her grandmother, who she was very close to, had died. And Farrah couldn't go to the funeral. That's how big she was. Because of my financial situation now, I am going to have to sell my Farrah stuff. It will be a hard thing to do. I don't want to capitalize on her death but rather remember her life. She made my life a little brighter. Now, she is an angel in Heaven. She was my angel on Earth. Rest in Peace, Farrah.

No comments: