Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An Observation

I was watching TV yesterday. I haven't had cable in over a year, so I have had a treat of seeing things I haven't seen in a while. One of which is MSNBC. I sometimes have watched CNN and Fox News, but I guess I have liked MSNBC the best, because I am partial to NBC news. It was how I was raised. One of my earliest memories from the news was the Huntley/Brinkley Report on NBC. For a while, after they went off the air, we switched to CBS and Walter Cronkite, but we seemed to always go back to NBC. Besides, WIS was the strongest local station in Columbia, and they were an NBC affiliate. So, I have gravitated to MSNBC. A lot of the NBC personalities go on MSNBC. It is very familiar. Okay, now that the commercial is over for MSNBC, let me tell you what I saw yesterday. I was watching the news, and they were talking about a missing girl at Myrtle Beach. Now, this place is a famous resort known all over the world. The beach is located in South Carolina, and they like to say that most of the tourist dollars in South Carolina go to Myrtle Beach. It is a place that attracts visitors all year, not just the summer. Of course, there are other great places in South Carolina, but Myrtle Beach seems to get the bulk of the business. Another commercial? No, just a fact. So, there was this woman on MSNBC. I don't know her name, but she looks good on TV. She identified Myrtle Beach as being in California. Now, I think that weather people have to take geography in school, but I guess news people don't. I also assume that she was not reading from a teleprompter, because someone in the research department would have seen that Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina, even if they had never been there. But, there's more. After she made the gaffe that it was in California, nobody said anything in her ear to correct her mistake. Also, she didn't catch her own mistake. Also, she didn't correct herself, after they came back from commercial. So, have we come so far in our education that reporters don't know where things are in this country? Maybe she missed that day in school. California-South Carolina? What does it matter? Well, I would like to know if I need to change my clock to three hours earlier. Can I tell folks that I have an appointment with, that South Carolina is in the Pacific Time Zone? They will look at me strange, but I will just say that the national newswoman said it, so it must be true. Film at 11.

No comments: