Friday, October 3, 2008

Hot Springs

I was reminded of this story yesterday. A friend from Arkansas called me, and he mentioned having visited Hot Springs, AR. I remembered that my parents took me there on the way to a trip to New Mexico. I was probably around 8. Hot Springs has pools of hot water that are supposed to be healing. Of course, we had to feel them. I don't think we got completely in, but I do remember putting my toes in the water. I think that is what sealed the deal of me liking hot baths. I love to sit in a hot bath. It is so relaxing. I can just sit there and think about the important things of the day. I haven't been in a hot tub, but I would really like to experience the joys of a hot tub. When I told a doctor about my delight in a tub bath, he said that he would feel not quite as clean in a bath than in a shower. I suppose that there are opinions on both sides of bath vs. shower. If you don't have much time, then a shower would be the way to go. But, if you have some time, and just want to soak, go for the tub. I know the tub probably uses more water, although I have heard about people taking extra long showers, so that may be a mute point. I must admit to you people, and this might gross you out, but when I was in college, during my hippie days, I didn't bathe very much. I did use deordorant and some soap and water, but it wasn't the same as an all-over bath or shower. It just wasn't a priority in those days. I guess my baths make up for that. And, during those days, I didn't wash my hair much. Maybe that's why I don't have much hair today. Confession is good for the soul. And, then to conclude, let's go back to the hot springs. Near the springs, there was a cool stream. I was playing on the rocks of the stream and fell in, wearing my clothes. I remember that my Mother was not happy with me falling into the stream, because I had to change clothes, and she had to dig them out of my suitcase in the trunk of the car. So, two lessons learned that day--hot baths are good but don't go into the water with all your clothes on.

No comments: