Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hearing Loss

What? My father was hard of hearing. It was very frustrating growing up, because his favorite word was "What?". I spent the majority of my life repeating what I said to him. When my Mother had her stroke, and her speech was slurred, I had to be the interpreter between her and my father, because he couldn't hear what she said. What? I am a product of rock and roll concerts. There are artists who have lost their hearing, because they stood next to their speakers. I have lost a bit of hearing in my right ear partially because of going to those concerts. The worst was The Who in 1989. They were in the Guinness Book of World Records for the loudest concert. I went to one of those. We sat in a football stadium in Raleigh NC. On one side of me was the stage. On the other side of me was a guy who yelled right in my ear for 2 hours straight. I literally could feel my brain move around in my head. The sound made me sick, and I had to leave before the show was over. I also have a slight deformity in my right ear, where the canal is a little smaller than my left ear. What? I don't think I am as deaf as my father was, but who knows what will happen, as I get older. Speaking of getting older, I also find that it is harder now to get up off the floor, if I happen to sit down on the floor. I've fallen, and I can't get up. What? At least, my mind is young, even if my body is not. What?

No comments: