Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Writings

I have written creatively since I was 5, when I wrote a commercial for OK Cereal. I typed it out on my father's Royal manual typewriter. It took me awhile, obviously, but I thought it was pretty good. My parents sent it to an advertiser, who said they couldn't use it, but come back in 18 years. OK Cereal went away, but my creativity didn't. I continued writing off and on. I wrote my first song, when I was in the 4th grade. It was called "People". I wrote it 3 months before "Listen People" came out by Herman's Hermits, but it was remarkably similar. I didn't know I could sue, but it wasn't copyrighted. I told Peter Noone about it years later, and he said he was relieved. When I was in high school, my friend Richard Owen and I started a writer's club. We had a few people in it, and we all wrote weird stuff. My personal favorite was "The End of a Moon". It was a parody of something another kid wrote called "The End of the Sun". It was a science fiction piece. Mine was just weird. I also started a novel called "Carson Falls", which was a sci-fi story of the end of the world. I never finished it. Richard and I would take magazines and newspapers in the library and write funny captions to the pictures. During this time, I wrote a lot of essays on topical issues and used many of them for speeches in our model Congress tournaments. I also wrote a lot of poetry, which was mostly therapy for my mental issues. Moving on to college, I got more interested in doing good poetry. James Dickey was a big influence for that. I also wrote more songs, many of which have become recorded by The Cobbwebs. And, I wrote plays. I have a big Pepsi box with all of this stuff that I have written over the years. The box is overflowing. I was thinking last night that I probably need to save them to the computer. If there was a fire or something, all of that stuff would be lost, which would be a real shame. It will be a big chore to type all of this stuff. It will be a big temptation to edit them or change the words to make them better, but if I write them as they actually are, they will show the way I have transformed over the years. So, here's hoping I get around to doing it, without going more crazy than I am now. Good luck to me.

No comments: