Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cell Phones

I have a cell phone. I fought it for years. Then, my friends Thom and Mary Ann gave me one for Christmas one year. I had it, but lost it. Then, I got another one. I use it for emergencies. After all, my car is not the best in the world, and I have it in case I break down. I got a flat tire once outside Joanna SC, and I didn't have a cell phone. Fortunately, I had the problem in front of a house, and someone was home that let me use his phone to call AAA. So, with a cell phone, I don't feel I need to impose on someone to use their phone. My father hit a deer one time. He went to a farm house to use their phone. The farmer left my father in the house and went running outside with his gun to search for the deer. Some people can be very trusting. But, our country has become very dependent on cell phones. It is a billion dollar business. I still have a land based phone, but will probably do away with it, when I do away with my dial-up internet service (Webtv). I also use it, when the wireless internet isn't working, which isn't often. Because I haven't used a cell phone much, it is hard for me to remember to carry my phone. I am also trying to learn how to use it. I know it has features that I don't know what they are, much less how to use them. Kind of like a computer. There is an impression by some that I am a computer whiz. Maybe because I wear glasses. Maybe because I use it to sell stuff. But, here's a secret for you. I don't know everything about computers. I wish I did, but I don't. Now, my roommate has lost his cell phone. It is somewhere in the condo. Somehow, the phone has been switched to voicemail, so you can't call it. It won't ring. He is lost without it. He has become dependent on it. It will turn up one day. I suggested he put all of his pocket stuff together like wallet, keys and phone on a table. But for now, the phone is missing. I guess I am old fashioned. We need to go back to bulky CB radios. Whatever happened to them? Probably next to the 8-track tape player.

No comments: