Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Food Poisoning

In 1976, I was living in Fort Worth, Texas. It was the bicentennial weekend, so nothing was open. I began to vomit and have diarrhea every 20 minutes for two days. I lost 10 pounds, and it took me several years to gain it back. I got enough energy to go to a drug store and buy Pepto Bismol. I drank the entire bottle in the parking lot of the store. Last night, it happened again. The difference this time was that I have a roommate who could take me to the hospital. I was throwing up and had diarrhea. First every 20 minutes. I knew exactly what it was. I took some Pepto, but it didn't seem to work very well. I asked Jimmy to take me to the hospital around 10pm. Before I could see anyone, I threw up two more times and had diarrhea once. Of course by now, everything coming out was liquid, as I had long before gone through any food in my system. The nurse asked me if I was going for a Guinness World Record in vomiting, but we decided that there wasn't a category for that. Everyone is a comic. They took some blood and gave me some fluids and some drugs. Around 1:30am, I left and we headed back to the condo. Jimmy went to the drug store and get my recommended drugs. I slept in the clothes I wore to the hospital, as I was too weak to change. Today, I am still pretty weak, but I am going to have to drink a lot of fluids. If I hadn't gone to the ER, who knows where I would be today? Maybe with Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac. They said my skin was grey upon arriving, but they got some color in my face. I don't have medical insurance, so the hospital said they will work with me. Not today though. I am chillin' today.

No comments: