Wednesday, July 9, 2008

When In Rome

This day, we toured Rome. It was a day packed with a lot of old stuff. We went to Vatican City and saw the Sistine Chapel. We were warned not to take pictures inside, but of course of our group did. I thought she was going to be arrested, but she said it was an accident, so she was forgiven. We didn't see the Pope. We went to Trevi Fountain and tossed coins which symbolized coming back at some point. We drove by the Colisseum but didn't stop. By the time lunch arrived, the group split up to find places to eat. I went with Sandra, Talula, Judy and Sha to an Italian restaurant. We had wine with our food. It was the first time I had ever drunk wine and got a little buzz. The main problem was that our breath smelled like wine, and Mr. Vivian disapproved of anyone drinking alcohol, so we tried our best to avoid him. I'm not sure he ever found out, but I think he did. Kids will be kids. That afternoon, we did more sightseeing like The Forum. The big thing about Rome is that everything is old. That night as I was fixing to go to bed, the phone rang. It was Sandra. She told me that I needed to get to their room, because she was afraid they were going to die. I knew there was a problem, because she never talked about death. I went down the hall and found she and Talula terribly afraid. What happened was that there was a push-button system to summon a bellhop, maid or concierge. They thought they had pressed the button for a maid to bring more towels, but instead it the bellhop button. When the knock came on the door, they said "Come in" and were undressed. The bellhop got a surprise, as did they. They screamed and shut the door in his face. They were afraid he was going to do something to them, so they wanted me to protect them. While I was in the room, we made a plan to get him back. I was to go in the bathroom and wait, as they called him back to their room to apologize. He was going to get the idea that they were going to party with him. At that point, I would come out of the bathroom to say hello and scare him off. The boy arrived at the door, and they welcomed him in. I flushed the toilet and came out of the bathroom. The boy got scared and ran out. We all laughed. We had made him look foolish. We had embarrassed him. I went back to my room feeling good. They had needed me. Mr. Vivian asked me what was going on. I just said that we had a little fun, and I went to bed with a smile on my face.

No comments: