Monday, July 28, 2008

Traffic Flow

I have noticed recently that there are a lot of followers out there, but not many leaders. That is in traffic. If you are on a four-lane highway (or more), there are far more people in the right lane than the left. Okay, on freeways, the left lane is for a faster flow. Don't you just hate it when the slow people get in the left lane on the freeways? Especially when it is rush hour? But, I am not talking about freeways. I am talking about the city streets. Recently, I have noticed that it is comfortable to be in the right lane, even if you are not turning right. The left lane can be empty, but everybody is in the right lane. Maybe they are having a party, and I wasn't invited. But, I am looking at the left lane, completely open, and nobody but me is on it. Let's give you an example. In Greenville, there is a big mall called Haywood. In fact, it's about the only mall in Greenville. They say over a hundred stores are in it. People from miles around come to this mall. It is right by an interstate/freeway. The main road that goes by the mall is called Haywood Road. It is a very busy street with lots of other stores and restaurants lining both sides leading to the mall. If you are coming up the road, with the mall on the right, the right lane is used for turning into the mall. So, you would think that all those people in the right lane would be going to the mall. But, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Some do turn, but the majority are just following the one in front, when the left lane is open to get around these people. I don't know, but if I have to get somewhere, the last thing I want to do is to be stuck in traffic, when there is a way of getting around the slowpokes. Now, I do not have a lead foot. I used to, when I was younger, but I have realized that the older I get, the slower I drive. But, for goodness sake people. Take the opportunity to look around and see that there is another lane you can get into. But, if you insist on being in the right lane, and you aren't turning into the mall, watch the grass grow on your side. I will look at it later, but not now.

No comments: