Monday, June 16, 2008

Rubberneckers

I was on the interstate today. Everyone was moving along nicely, and traffic was kind of heavy. All of a sudden, brake lights came on ahead, and everyone had slowed to a crawl. Some trucks were exiting the highway to go around the bottleneck. As we inched forward, I looked ahead, and I saw some patrol cars' blue lights. Beyond the lights, traffic was moving smoothly. As I got closer, I saw that there was an accident involving a pickup truck, a motorcycle and a camper. The wreck looked pretty bad. A few people were standing around. But, everything was out of the roadway and in the median. So, why was traffic at a standstill? Because, folks wanted to slow down and look at the wreck. I hate rubberneckers. Folks in traffic can't do anything about what has happened, except for maybe praying for the victims, if there are any. It is just our tabloid mentality. We want to see the bad things that have happened to other people. In the larger cities, folks are so immune to accidents that they just drive on. It becomes a way of life. I am sorry that this accident happened today, and I hope no one was badly injured, but we all don't need to slow down so much that we are going less than 10mph on a busy highway, when we don't have to.

No comments: