Saturday, June 21, 2008

Polite People

For most of my life, I have lived in large cities. The only exception was during my college years, where I lived in smaller towns. I had said that, when I retired, I would live in a smaller town. I liked the smaller town, because of the slower pace and the nicer people. Large cities tend to breed folks who don't care about others. They just want to get where they are going, no matter who gets in the way. I have been used to this and am somewhat guilty of doing the same. In my job in customer service, I had to be nice to others, But, when I got off, I went back to being like most everybody else. So, what is different now? I have moved to a place where everyone is polite. People in all kinds of jobs seem nice. I have an idea why, but I can't be sure. I think the reason why is that this area has a wide variety of religious folks. There are several religious schools around. Folks seem to be more interested in faith which translates to their everyday lives. I think about all the transplants from other parts of the country, primarily from the North. They come here and don't leave. Why? I think a reason could be how nice these folks here are. This area is the most populous in the state. I may not stay here the rest of my life. If I leave, I will take the politeness with me. The only problem will be that other cities may interpret my politeness as being flaky. Or, they may become paranoid. Why is he being nice to me? Well, just be nice and take me at face value. If one smiles at a stranger, the result could be contagious. Just a thought.

No comments: