Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Life's Stages

It is now the time for a psychological exam. I was wondering about life's stages. Do some people just go along through life from child to adult in a seamless way? Do others go through life in stops and starts? If so, I am in the second group. So, would the people who knew me as a child be surprised at my life now? Would the people who know me now be surprised about my life from years ago? I say yes. For one thing, I don't know many people now who knew me a long time ago. So, what are my life's stages? It is hard to pinpoint, but I think I can try. First, there was the New Orleans years until I was 5. I remember my friend Paul Price. The rest was centered around my family. Second, there was the early years in Columbia. That would take into account the elementary school time. Third, there was the junior high years that are mostly a blur thanks to the constant being beaten up. Fourth, there was the high school years, where my life was saved by the Youth Group at Kilbourne Park. Fifth, there was my college years, where I discovered my talents and some mind-altering stuff. Sixth, there was my seminary years in Ft. Worth, where I discovered more mind-altering stuff. Seventh, there was my job years, where I began making life-long friends. I may still be in the 7th stage, or possibly the beginning of an 8th stage. I think my life has been more full by having several stages of life. I think I have been a more well-rounded person. I am sorry that there are folks out there who experience nothing, and therefore have one stage. When I share my stories with others, they seem amazed as to what I have done. For example, who knew that I was one of the most sought after dramatists in the late 1970's? Who knew that I was in movies and TV, and people called me to be in their projects? Who knew that I was a nationally published writer? Who knew that I was a manager/buyer for a large department store and was recognized for being the best? My friends today may not know. They see me who I am now. That's where my stories come in. Some may think I make this stuff up, but I don't. I have lived a very full life. My birthday is coming up soon. What do I have to look forward to? Looking for love. Hopefully not in all the wrong places. Looking for success. Maybe one day. Looking to live another day. One day at a time.

No comments: