Thursday, June 5, 2008

Herman

Rich's had a promotion to see how many employees could take care of their fish. Each person got a Japanese fighting fish, and we put them in small bowls. The fish were placed by the registers throughout the store. A few customers complained that it was wrong to do this, as it was cruel to the fish, but the store was trying to promote the caring of others, which would translate into the caring of customers. My fish was named Herman. He was brown and red. Herman was a good fish. I fed him and changed his water. I found a small Pooh bear that a child had left, and I put it next to the bowl. Herman loved Pooh. He would spend hours just staring at Pooh. There would be times that I would move Pooh away, and Herman would get very lethargic. When I put Pooh back, Herman would get excited. It was love. A friend bought a small aquarium for me, and I took Herman and Pooh home with me. Herman liked his new home, because he could swim further, and I put Pooh next to the aquarium, so that Herman could be with his friend. One day, I got the bright idea that Herman would like a fish friend, so I found a plastic fish, and I attached it with a paper clip, and put it in the aquarium. I didn't know that the rusted paper clip would be poisonous to Herman. He died. It was a sad day. I had a funeral for him and flushed him down the toilet. I got a second fish and put Pooh next to the bowl, but it wasn't interested in Pooh. I learned a lesson about love. Herman loved Pooh. Not everyone loves the same people. Who I may love, someone else might not be interested in. They say that there is a person for everyone. I am still looking for that person. I may be closer. Oooo, cryptic. Pooh?

No comments: