Monday, May 12, 2008

Writing Songs

I am a songwriter. I have written songs since the 4th grade, when I wrote a song called "People". The tune was pretty close to "Listen People" by Herman's Hermits, but my version was written 3 months before theirs was released. Maybe I was psychic, and I think I was too young to sue. Anyway, I found that my poetry could be used for songs early on. Later, I wrote songs that one could actually sing. One of earliest real attempts was a song I wrote on a plane, coming back from Europe. It was called "The Children's Song", and it was inspired by all the suffering we saw in Israel. I worked on that song for most of the flight. A few years later, I sent it to Pope John Paul II, because I was touched as to his caring for children. The Vatican sent it back to me, saying the Pope had blessed my song. When The Cobbwebs came along, and I needed to write songs for the group, I found that I could churn out songs pretty quickly. Usually in less than 30 minutes. If I am inspired, it happens fast. If I have to work harder, it can take days. But usually, the quicker the time--the better the song. I don't know where the words come from, but I am a firm believer in divine inspiration. My talent comes from God. That's the way it is. When I write, I have a basic melody in my head, and I put the words to that melody. I do it that way, because It is easier to get the beat down right. When I give the lyrics to Chris for him to do the music, he will put his own music to my words. Most of the time, the music is entirely different from my original thought process, but it works. Another trick is whether the song is going to be commercial or not. I can usually tell. Most of the time, I don't write a song to be commercial. I write from the heart. But, if I write something like "She Said Yes" and the companion "She Said No", then that would be more commercial than say something like "Fences". And what is the best song I have written so far? That's hard to say, as all of them are like my children, but if I would have to pick, I would say "Dream Girl", "Whole New World (No Regrets)" or "One More Time". Technically, those are the best. Maybe one day, others will think so too. And the worst? "Ode to a June Bug", but that's just my opinion.

No comments: