Monday, April 28, 2008

Presidents

I have seen most of the Presidents of the United States in my lifetime, whether running for office, in office or out of office. Let's run them down, shall we:
1. Dwight Eisenhower--he came to Columbia SC, when he was out of office, to make a speech. I was a kid.
2. John F. Kennedy--I never saw him. He wasn't President for very long.
3. Lyndon Johnson--I saw him after he left office. He came to Columbia and made a speech.
4. Richard Nixon--he came to Columbia while President to visit Jimmy Byrnes. I was across the street from the house. Pat was there too.
5. Gerald Ford--he came to Dallas TX while President to visit First Baptist Church. I was across the street but very close.
6. Jimmy Carter--he came to Ft. Worth TX the Sunday before he was elected President to go to my church. I was pretty close to him. The reporters stepped all over the shrubbery outside the church to get a picture. We had to replace the shrubbery.
7. Ronald Reagan--he came to Columbia before he was elected President. I got to see him upclose, as his car slowed to take a bump. I gave him the thumbs up sign, and he gave it back to me. Soon after, he started using that throughout his campaigns and presidency. I felt I gave that to him.
8. George Bush--he came to Columbia while President. I saw him leave his hotel and drive down the street. I waved, and he waved back.
9. Bill Clinton--he came to Columbia before he was President and made a speech. I saw him there. I don't think Hillary was with him.
10. George W. Bush--he came to Columbia to speak at a graduation. I saw Air Force One arrive, and I waited at the graduation site to see him, but they brought him in through a back way, so no luck. I may get an opportunity in about a month, when he comes to Greenville. We'll see.

No comments: