Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Three is My Lucky Number

So, this is the third post of the day. Sixth Grade. When I was in 6th grade, we had a thing called the school patrol. That's where the popular boys would be used to patrol the halls of the school for wayward younger kids. We also helped with traffic control at the end of the school day. So, I was on patrol. There was a kid in our class named Tom Phillips. Tom and I were best friends. We played Man from UNCLE games. Both of us wanted to be UNCLE agents, when we grew up. Tom's mother wore pants a lot. My mother wore dresses. We got into an argument one day about pants vs. dresses. The other boys in the class, who were on the patrol, wanted Tom and me to fight each other after school. We didn't want to fight, but it became necessary to do so. After school one day, Tom and I fought. A teacher came outside and dragged us both to the principal. He asked us why we did it, because he knew both of us were not fighters. I told the principal that the other boys egged us on and made us fight. So, all the patrol kids got in trouble. There was only 2 kids in the class who didn't participate in promoting the fight, so there was not enough to form a patrol at the end of the school year. It was much like a Watergate snowball. To this day, there are guys I grew up with who will not speak to me. I don't know whatever happened to Tom. I heard he got in trouble with the law in NC, but I'm not sure about that. The 6th grade incident began a situation against me that would last another 3 years of persecution that I will talk about next time. Kids can be cruel, and it almost cost me my life. Oooo, another cliffhanger.

No comments: