Thursday, March 13, 2008

KPBC

Kilbourne Park Baptist Church. The place we joined on January 4th, 1970. The kids that saved my life. After we joined there, I didn't really embrace them for a couple of months. I had, and still have, a problem trusting people. When I went to a social after church, one of them asked me where I had been. I made up a story that I had been sick. Their response was that they were sorry. No one had cared about me before. I was just the ugly kid, or the talented kid. I fell in love with a girl at that church. Her name was Pam. She seemed to care. Unfortunately, she also had a boyfriend. I am usually attracted to females who are attached. I tried to hide my feelings for a while. I was close to others in our youth group. In fact, a lot of people thought I was going to marry Mary Ellen. Her family kind of adopted me and let me stay over at their house. Mary Ellen was my friend. Pam was my love. I confided in my friend Sonny. He had a secret love for Karen in our group. My first sort of date with a girl was Karen. We went to eat one night at Hardee's. Pam was unattainable. Since I knew that she and I would never be together, I became something of a patron for her. I promoted her work as a singer in plays around Columbia. I don't know if she ever knew how much I helped her, but it was my way of saying thanks for helping me discover life. I got my first kiss from a girl from Pam, while "Magic Carpet Ride" played on the stereo. We actually did go out a couple of times in the early 1980's. Later on, Pam got married to Ted. They still are and living in Wisconsin. A few years ago, I wrote to her. We correspond by email. I told her what an impact she had on my life. She said she had no idea. As I have said before, you just never know how you are going to affect others' lives. Perfect example. Thanks, Pam.

No comments: